Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Week Two Bonus - ANSWER

The answer is...William Penn!

I learned a lot of amazing things about Willy while I was looking for this question.

"For you are now fixed at the mercy of no governor that comes to make his fortune great; you shall be governed by laws of your own making and live a free, and if you will, a sober and industrious life. I shall not usurp the right of any, or oppress his person. God has furnished me with a better resolution and has given me his grace to keep it."--Penn, 1681

In 1693, William Penn wrote a plan for the "Present and Future Peace of Europe", which basically put forth the idea of arbitration instead of war for settling disputes between nations. The plan is considered a prototype of the United Nations charter, and UN Day is celebrated on October 24th, Penn's birthday.

For more information (including the two things above), click here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home